Public Health Act
Public Health (Corona Virus and COVID-19) (Prevention, Containment and Management) Rules, 2020
Government Notice 48 of 2020
- Published in Government Gazette on 7 August 2020
- Assented to on 6 August 2020
- Commenced on 7 August 2020
- [This is the version of this document as it was from 7 August 2020 to 12 August 2020.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CitationThese Rules may be cited as the Public Health (Corona Virus and COVID-19) (Prevention, Containment and Management) Rules, 2020.
2. InterpretationIn these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires—"Corona Virus" means the severe acute respiratory syndrome Corona Virus 2 (SARS-COV-2) which emerged from China in 2019, that causes acute respiratory syndrome;"COVID-19" means a disease that occurs when SARS-CoV-2 infection affects functionality of body organs or systems, especially the respiratory system and may manifest as a severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS);"essential services" means services listed as essential services in the Seventh Schedule hereto;"enforcement officer" includes—(a)a designated traditional authority;(b)a forestry officer;(c)a health officer;(d)an immigration officer;(e)a labour officer;(f)a member of the Defence Forces of Malawi;(g)a police officer;(h)a prison warder;(i)a local government officer;(j)a national parks and wildlife officer; and(k)a road traffic officer;"face mask" includes a surgical face mask, cloth face mask; face shield or any material that covers both the mouth and nose;"gathering" means an assembly of more than ten persons whether wholly or partially in open air or in a building;"head of an institution" means the controlling officer of a public institution or the chief executive officer or the equivalent position in a private institution;"health officer" means a person with technical qualifications in any health-related discipline and with valid registration with a professional health body or written approval to carry out health-related functions;"isolation" means separating a person who is infected with the Corona Virus from other persons who are not infected in such a manner as to prevent the spread of infection or contamination by the Corona Virus;"restricted area" means a geographical or administrative area declared as such by the Minister pursuant to rule 19;"quarantine" means the separation of an asymptomatic person potentially exposed to the Corona Virus from non-exposed persons in such a manner as to prevent the possible spread of infection or contamination by the Corona Virus; and"village health committee" means any community-based health committee approved by the Ministry of Health and regularly supervised by trained community health workers, including a community health action group.
Part II – General preventive measures
Division I — Prevention of spread of Corona Virus by persons
3. Preventive measures
4. Person with COVID-19 symptoms
5. Person diagnosed with COVID-19A person who is diagnosed with COVID-19, shall—
6. Reporting of COVID-19 cases
7. Handling of dead bodies
Division II - Measures by the Government to prevent, contain and manage the spread of COVID-19
8. Compulsory testing, detention, etc
9. Places of quarantine and isolationThe Minister may designate any place as an isolation or quarantine facility for the temporary confinement and management of persons who are suspected of being infected with, or who may have recently been exposed to the Corona Virus, or who have been confirmed as having COVID-19.
10. Certification of enforcement officers
11. Regulation of public gatherings
12. Regulation of education institutionsAll education institutions shall be closed until the Minister, in consultation with the Minister responsible for education, orders the re-opening of the institutions.
13. Regulation of workplacesAn employer and an employee shall, at the workplace, comply with the measures listed in the Fourth Schedule hereto.
14. Regulation of entry into Malawi
15. Restrictions relating to transportation services
16. Restrictions on hospitality and recreation and other public eventsThe measures in the Sixth Schedule hereto, shall apply to the following—
17. Restricted areas
18. Prohibition relating to travel and permit requirementWhere a person is required to travel to a restricted area or depart from a restricted area, that person shall obtain a permit from a designated enforcement officer nearest to that person or at the point of entry into, or exit from, a restricted area, authorizing travel.
19. Essential services
Part III – Miscellaneous
20. Offences and penalties
21. Immunity against liabilityLiability or suit shall not lie against an enforcement officer or medical practitioner for anything done in good faith under these Rules.
22. Revocation G.N. 5/2020The Public Health (Corona Virus Prevention, Containment and Management) Rules, 2020 are hereby revoked.
History of this document
01 June 2022 amendment not yet applied
23 April 2021 amendment not yet applied
13 November 2020 amendment not yet applied
13 August 2020 amendment not yet applied
07 August 2020 this version
06 August 2020
31 December 2014