Greenbelt Authority Act
Act 23 of 2017
- Published in Malawi Gazette on 25 July 2017
- Assented to on 20 July 2017
- Commenced on 10 August 2020 by Greenbelt Authority Act, 2017: Commencement
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2017.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the Greenbelt Authority Act, 2017 and shall come into operation on a date the Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette, appoint.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“Authority” means the Greenbelt Authority established under section 4 of this Act;“chairperson” means the chairperson of the Authority appointed under section 5 of this Act;“committee” means a committee of the Authority established under section 8 of this Act“Chief Executive Officer” means the Chief Executive Officer appointed under section 19 of this Act;“Greenbelt area” means an area designated by the Minister for large scale irrigation development whose main purpose is to accelerate socio-economic transformation through increased agricultural productivity, agro-processing and easy access to markets;“member” means a member of the Authority appointed under section 5(1)(A) of this Act;“Trust” means the Registered Trustees of the Greenbelt Initiative Trust, duly incorporated under the Trustees Incorporation Act.
3. Designation of Greenbelt areaThe Minister shall, in consultation with the relevant authorities, by order published in the Gazette, designate an area as a Greenbelt area.
Part II – The Greenbelt Authority
4. Establishment of Greenbelt AuthorityThere is hereby established an Authority to be known as the Greenbelt Authority (hereinafter referred to as “the Authority”) which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and be capable of—
6. FunctionsWithin the Greenbelt area, the Authority shall—
7. PowersThe Authority shall, in the discharge of its functions, have power to—
8. Co-operation with other bodiesIn the performance of its functions and the exercise of its powers provided for in this Act, the Authority shall co-operate with other public offices, bodies or departments of the Government.
9. Tenure of office
12. Allowances and expenses
14. Personal attendance of meetingsA member of the Authority or committee appointed under section 5(1)(a) shall not attend a meeting of the Authority or committee by proxy and where the member is unable to attend any meeting of the Authority or committee, he may request that his apologies for failure to attend be recorded.
15. Disclosure of interest
16. Oath of secrecyEvery—
17. Protection from liability
History of this document
10 August 2020
Commenced by Greenbelt Authority Act, 2017: Commencement
31 December 2017 this version
25 July 2017
Published in Malawi Gazette
20 July 2017