Malawi University of Science and Technology Act
- Commenced on 1 May 2013
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Malawi University of Science and Technology Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“academic staff” means all persons for the time being holding appointments, whether on full time, part time or adjunct, under contract with the Council, as professors, associate professors, senior lecturers, lecturers, assistant lecturers, staff associates, instructors or demonstrators of the University, including those whose conditions of service contain the obligation to undertake research, and the senior professional staff of the library, or any other post declared by the Senate by category or title to be an academic post;“Administrative staff” means all persons for the time being holding appointments, whether on full time or part time basis, under contract with the Council, in the administration of the affairs of the University;“Centre” means a Centre within the University established under section 23;“Chairperson” means the Chairperson of the Council appointed pursuant to section 8;“Chancellor” means the Chancellor of the University appointed pursuant to section 13;“College, School, Faculty or Division” means a College, School, Faculty or Division respectively within the University, established under section 23;“Committee” includes a sub-committee;“Council” means the Council of the University established under section 7;“Dean” means the Executive Dean of a Faculty, Dean of students, or of postgraduate studies appointed pursuant to section 25;“Deputy Vice-Chancellor” means the Deputy Vice-Chancellor appointed pursuant to section 15;“Director of Finance” means the Director of Finance appointed pursuant to section 17;“Financial year” means the period commencing on the date of commencement of this Act and ending on the 30th of June next following the commencement date and thereafter the period of twelve months ending on 30th June, in each year;“Institute” means an Institute within the University established under section 23;“Librarian” means the Librarian of the University appointed pursuant to section 18;“Organization” means any company, association or body of persons, corporate or unincorporated, but does not include any association or body established or incorporated under this Act;“property of the University” means any property, intellectual, real or personal, of every description, vested in or held by the Council under any right of ownership or possession; and any property held by the Council in trust for the furtherance of any of the objects of the University;“Registrar” means the Registrar of the University appointed pursuant to section 16;“Senate” means the Senate of the University established under section 19;“Senate Regulations” means Senate Regulations made pursuant to section 37;“Statutes” mean the Statutes made pursuant to section 35;“University” means the Malawi University of Science and Technology established under section 3;“Vice-Chancellor” means the Vice-Chancellor of the University appointed pursuant to section 14.
Part II – Establishment of the University
3. Establishment of the Malawi University of Science and TechnologyThere is hereby established a University to be known as the Malawi University of Science and Technology.
4. Membership of the University
5. Aims and objectives of the UniversityThe aims and objectives of the University include—
6. Powers of the UniversitySubject to this Act and the Statutes, the University shall award and confer Degrees, Diplomas, Certificates and other academic distinctions, including Honorary Degrees and distinctions.
Part III – The Council
7. Establishment of the CouncilThere is hereby established the Council of the University, which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and shall be capable under that name, of—
8. Composition of the Council
9. Functions and powers of the Council
10. Vacancies on the Council
11. Meetings and procedures of the Council
12. Common seal of the Council
Part IV – Officers of the University
15. Deputy Vice-Chancellor
17. Director of Finance
Part V – The Senate
19. The Senate
20. Functions and powers of the SenateThe Senate shall perform such functions and exercise such powers as prescribed by this Act or the Statutes and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, such functions and powers shall include—
21. Meetings of the SenateThe Senate shall be convened in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Statutes.
22. Invited persons
Part VI – Colleges, Schools, Faculties, Divisions, Centres and Institutes
23. Colleges, Schools, Faculties, Divisions, Centres and Institutes
26. Head of Department
27. Composition of Faculties and Departments
28. Faculty Board
29. Composition of Centres and InstitutesEach Centre and Institute shall consist of such members as the Senate may, with the approval of the Council, prescribe by Statute.
Part VII – Financial provisions
30. Funds and property of the University
31. Compliance with ActsThe Council shall at all times comply with the provisions of the Public Finance Management Act, Public Audit Act, Public Procurement Act and any other applicable laws.[Cap. 37:02; Cap. 37:01; Cap. 37:03]
32. Audit of Accounts
33. Accounts and funds
34. BorrowingsSubject to the provisions of this Act and of the Public Finance Management Act, the Council may borrow, either by way of overdraft from a bank or otherwise, such sums as it may, from time to time, require for the carrying out of its functions and powers.[Cap 37:02]
Part VIII – Miscellaneous provisions
35. The Statutes
36. Amendment to the Statutes
37. Senate Regulations
38. Service of process and other documents on the CouncilAny writ or other process, notice, or document may be served upon the Council by serving the same on the Registrar.
39. Transfer of assets, liabilities, etc.
40. Transfer of employees
History of this document
31 December 2014 this version
01 May 2013