Mzuzu University Act
- Commenced on 1 July 1997
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. CitationThis Act may be cited as the Mzuzu University Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act and in the Statutes, unless the context otherwise requires—“Centre” means a Centre within the University instituted under section 25;“Chairman” means the Chairman of the Council appointed pursuant to section 11;“Chancellor” means the person who is the Chancellor of the University under section 14;“Committee” includes sub-Committee;“Council” means the Council of the University established and incorporated by section 8;“Dean” means the Dean of a Faculty elected by a Faculty pursuant to section 26;“Director of Investments” means the Director of Investments appointed pursuant to section 19;“Director of Research” means the Director of Research appointed pursuant to section 20;“Faculty” means a Faculty within the University instituted under section 25;“financial year” means the period commencing on the date of commencement and ending on the 31st December, next following such date and thereafter the period of twelve months ending on the 31st December, in each year;“Institute” means an Institute within the University created under section 25;“Librarian” means the Librarian appointed pursuant to section 18;“Minister” means the Minister responsible for University education;“organization” means any company, association or body of persons, corporate or unincorporate wherever established or incorporated, but does not include any such association or body established or incorporated under this Act;“President” means the President of the Republic of Malawi;“property of the University” means any property, real or personal, of every description vested in or held by the Council under any right of ownership or possession; and any property held by the Council in trust for the furtherance of any of the objects of the University;“Registrar” means the Registrar of the University appointed pursuant to section 17;“Senate” means the Senate of the University established under section 21;“Senate Regulations” means Senate Regulations made under section 36;“Statutes” means the Statutes made under section 35;“University” means the Mzuzu University established under section 3;“Vice-Chancellor” means the Vice-Chancellor of the University appointed pursuant to section 16.
Part II – Establishment of the University
3. Establishment of the Mzuzu UniversityThere is hereby established a university by the name and style of the Mzuzu University.
4. Membership of the University
5. Objects of the UniversityThe objects of the University shall be to advance knowledge and to promote wisdom and understanding by engaging in teaching, research, and training by making provision for the dissemination, promotion, and preservation of learning; by engaging in such university education, research, and training as is responsive to the needs of Malawi, Africa and the whole world; by offering an education of a high university standard; and by providing complementary services to meet the technological, social and economic needs of individuals and communities in Malawi.
6. Functions of the UniversityThe functions of the University shall be—
7. Specialist trainingThe University may, as determined by the Council from time to time, provide specialist training in such subjects as may be deemed desirable.
Part III – The Council
8. Establishment and incorporation of the CouncilThere is hereby established the Council of the University, which, under that name, shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and shall be capable by that name, of—
9. Common seal of the Council
10. Functions and powers of the Council
11. Composition of the Council
12. Meetings and procedure of the Council
Part IV – Mzuzu University Trust
13. Mzuzu University TrustThe Mzuzu University Trust established under the Trust Deed and incorporated under the Trustees Incorporation Act prior to the coming into force of this Act shall be deemed to have been executed by the Council under section 10 (1) (g) of this Act.[Cap. 5:03]
Part V – Officers of the University
15. Functions and duties of the Chancellor
19. Director of Investments
20. Director of Research
Part VI – The Senate
21. The Senate
22. Invited persons
23. Functions and powers of the SenateThe Senate shall perform such functions and exercise such powers as are prescribed by this Act or by the Statutes to be performed or exercised by the Senate and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, such functions and powers of the Senate shall include the following—
24. Meetings of the SenateThe Senate shall be convened, from time to time, and meetings thereof shall be held, in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Statutes.
Part VII – Faculties, Centres and Institutes
25. Faculties, Centres and Institutes
28. Composition of Faculties
29. Composition of Centres and InstitutesEach Centre and Institute shall consist of such members as the Senate, with the approval of the Council, may prescribe by Statute.
30. Faculty Committee
Part VIII – Financial provisions
31. Property of the University
32. Compliance with the Finance and Audit Act
34. BorrowingsSubject to the provisions of this Act and of the Finance and Audit Act, the Council may borrow, either by way of overdraft from a banker or otherwise, such sums as it may from time to time require for the carrying out of its functions and powers.
Part IX – Miscellaneous
35. The StatutesSubject to this Act, the University shall be governed and administered in accordance with the provisions of the Statutes made by the Minister with the advice of the Council.
36. Amendments to the Statutes
37. Senate Regulations
38. Service of process and other documents on the CouncilAny writ or other process, notice, or document may be served upon Council by serving the same on the Registrar.
History of this document
01 July 1997