General Amnesty Act
- Commenced on 15 July 1993
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the General Amnesty Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“act” in relation to any act to which this Act allies' includes a statement or a publication made in any form;[26 of 1993]“Committee” means the Returnees Committee established under section 7;[26 of 1993]“returnee” means a citizen of Malawi coming or returning to Malawi, to permanently reside in Malawi, under amnesty granted under this Act.[26 of 1993]
Part II – General amnesty
3. General amnesty
4. Acts to which this Act appliesThis Act shall apply in respect of any act, whether or not constituting an offence under any written law, committed or done—
5. Discontinuance of proceedings, release from custody and remission of imprisonment
6. Validity of convictionsNothing in this Act shall affect the validity of the conviction of any person by a court before the commencement of this Act of an offence constituted by an act to which this Act applies, but so however, that such conviction shall—
Part III – Returnees
7. Establishment of the Returnee Committee
8. SecretariatThe Commissioner for Disaster Preparedness and Relief shall designate an officer or officers in his office to serve as Secretariat to the Committee.
9. Functions of the CommitteeThe Committee shall—
10. Meetings of the Committee
11. Funds of the Committee
12. Questions as to who is a returneeAny question as to whether or not a person is a returnee within the meaning of this Act shall be determined by the Committee.
13. Duration of the mandate of the CommitteeThe Committee shall cease to function twelve months after the commencement of this part:Provided that the Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette, from time to time extend the period by not more than twelve months at a time.
Part IV – General
14. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
15 July 1993