National Family Welfare Council of Malawi Act
- Commenced on 4 January 1991
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Family Welfare Council of Malawi Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“Chairman” means the person designated as Chairman of the Council under section 8;“Council” means the National Family Welfare Council of Malawi established under section 3;“Family Welfare” means the well-being of all persons in Malawi in all aspects of their cultural, social, economic and other forms of human development, reproduction, growth, population and other human development related matters.
Part II – The National Family Welfare Council of Malawi
3. Establishment of the CouncilThere is hereby established a body to be known as the National Family Welfare Council of Malawi which shall be—
4. Composition of the Council
5. Vacation of office of membersThe office of a member, other than an ex-officio member, shall become vacant—
6. Filling of vacancies on the Council
7. Co-opted personsThe Council may in its discretion at any time and for any period invite any person, and the Minister may in like manner nominate any officer in the public service, to attend any meeting of the Council and take part in the deliberations of the Council, but such person or officer shall not be entitled to vote at that meeting.
8. Chairman and Vice-Chairman
9. Remuneration of members of the CouncilA member of the Council other than an ex-officio member, shall be paid out of the funds of the Council, such remuneration and allowances, if any, as the Minister may determine.
10. Meetings of the Council
11. Non-liability of members of the Council or of committeesNo member of the Council or of any committee of the Council shall be liable for any act or default of his, or of the Council, done in the exercise in good faith of the functions or powers of the Council.
Part III – Functions and powers of the Council
12. Functions of the CouncilThe Council shall be responsible for coordinating, promoting, fostering and implementing family welfare programmes in Malawi, and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the functions of the Council shall be—
13. Powers of the CouncilFor the better performance of its functions, the Council shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, have power—
14. Committees of the Council
Part IV – Management of the Council
15. Appointment of an Executive Secretary and other staff
Part V – Financial provisions
16. Funds, accounts and audit
Part VI – Committees of the Council
17. Policies, Programmes and Procedures Committee
18. Quality Control Committee
19. Education Committee
Part VII – Miscellaneous provisions
20. RegulationsThe Minister may, with the advice of the Council, make regulations for carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
31 December 2014 this version
04 January 1991