Malawi Institute of Management Act
- Commenced on 26 April 1989
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Malawi Institute of Management Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–"Board" means the Board of Governors for the Institute established under section 5;"Chairman" means the Chairman of the Board appointed and designated as such under section 6 (1) (a);“Institute” means the Malawi Institute of Management established under section 3;“Principal” means an officer of the Institute appointed and designated as such under section 11;“participant” means a person enrolled on a training programme conducted by the institute;"statutory body" means a local authority, a cooperative society and any body of persons, corporate or unincorporate, established by or under any written law or declared as such under any written law.
Part II – The Malawi Institute of Management
3. Establishment of the InstituteThere is hereby established an institute to be known as the Malawi Institute of Management which shall be a body corporate, by that name, having perpetual succession and a common seal and shall, by that name, be capable of suing and being sued and of purchasing or otherwise acquiring, holding and alienating moveable or immoveable property and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of doing or performing all such acts or things as bodies corporate may by law do or perform.
4. Objects of the InstituteThe objects of the Institute shall be–
Part III – Board of Governors for the Institute
5. Establishment of Board of Governors
6. Composition of the Board
7. Co-opted personsThe Board may in its discretion at any time and for any length of time invite any person, and the Minister may in like manner nominate any officer in the public service, to attend any meeting of the Board and take part in the deliberations of the Board, but such person or officer shall not be entitled to vote at that meeting.
8. Meetings of the Board
9. Powers and functions of the Board
10. Non-liability of members of the Board and staff of the InstituteNo member of the Board or staff of the Institute shall be personally liable for any act or default of his, or of the Board, done in good faith in the exercise or purported exercise, of the functions of the Board.
Part IV – Management of the Institute
11. Appointment of the Principal and other staff of the Institute
Part V – Financial provisions
12. Funds, accounts and audit
13. Remuneration and expenses of members of the BoardMembers of the Board may be paid from the funds of the Institute such allowances as the Minister may determine and in determining the allowances the Minister may make provision for the reimbursement of any expenses incurred by a member of the Board.
14. Bank accountThe Board may hold on a current or other account with a registered bank funds of the Institute and for such purposes as the Minister may approve.
Part VI – Miscellaneous
15. Property of the Institute
16. Transitional vesting provisions
17. Non-disclosure of informationA person who discloses to any other person any information respecting the administration of the Institute which he has obtained as–
18. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
26 April 1989