- Assented to on 26 April 1989
- Commenced on 26 April 1989
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Refugees Act.
3. Establishment of Refugee Committee
4. Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Committee
5. Meetings of the CommitteeThe Committee shall meet at such times and places as the Chairman shall determine and shall have power to determine its own procedure.
6. Functions of the Committee
7. Evidence and procedure
8. Persons not to be considered as refugeesA person shall not be considered to be a refugee under this Act if the Committee has serious reasons for considering that—
9. Obligations of a refugeeAny person granted refugee status under this Act shall be subject to the laws of Malawi, jurisdiction of courts in Malawi and to all measures taken for the maintenance of public order.
10. Prohibition of expulsion on return of refugees
11. Appeals to the Minister
12. Cessation of refugee statusA person shall cease to be a refugee under this Act if—
13. RegulationsThe Minister may make regulations for carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Act and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing such regulations may—
History of this document
26 April 1989