Capital City Development Corporation Act
- Assented to on 2 April 1968
- Commenced on 23 August 1968
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Capital City Development Corporation Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, except where the context otherwise requires—"Capital City" means the area of land designated by the President under section 9 as the Capital City of Lilongwe;"Chairman" means the Chairman of the Corporation designated under section 4 and any person acting as such;"Corporation" means the Capital City Development Corporation established under this Act;"development" includes redevelopment;"financial year" means such year or other period as the Minister may from time to time, by notice published in the Gazette, determine to be the financial year of the Corporation.[30 of 1969]
Part II – Establishment and conduct of corporation
3. Establishment of the CorporationThere is hereby established the Capital City Development Corporation which shall be a body corporate by that name with perpetual succession and a common seal, with the power to alter and change the same from time to time and which shall, subject to this Act, be capable in law of suing and being sued, of acquiring, holding, letting and otherwise disposing of land, and of doing and performing such acts and things as bodies corporate may by law do and perform.
4. Membership of Corporation
5. Resignation and vacation
6. RemunerationThere shall be payable to a member out of the funds of the Corporation such remuneration and allowances, if any, in respect of his services as the Minister may from time to time determine.
8. Standing ordersSubject to this Act, the Corporation may with the approval of the Minister from time to time make standing orders providing for—
Part III – Designation of Capital City etc.
9. Designation of Capital City and vesting of land
Part IV – Purposes and powers
10. Purposes of Corporation
11. Powers of CorporationFor any of the purposes specified in section 10 the Corporation shall have power to—
Part V – Financial provisions
12. Conduct of financial affairs
13. Revenue of the Corporation
14. Annual estimates
15. Keeping of accounts
16. Bank accountsAll moneys received by the Corporation shall, unless the Minister otherwise permits, be paid into an account of the Corporation with a bank registered under the Banking Act.[Cap. 44: 01]
17. InvestmentsThe Corporation may invest all or any of its moneys not immediately required for the purposes of the Corporation—
18. Security for loansLoans made to the Corporation may be secured on the property and revenues of the Corporation.
20. Report of auditor
Part VI – Staff and agents
21. Employment of officers and staff
22. Pensions and provident funds
Part VII – General
25. Power of court to cancel licence or permitWhere any person is convicted of contravening or failing to comply with any condition subject to which a licence or permit has been granted to him under any regulation made under section 24, the court which convicted him may, in addition to or in substitution for any penalty prescribed in such regulation, cancel the licence or permit in respect of which the offence was committed.
26. Minister may give directionsWithout prejudice to any provision of this Act requiring the consent or approval of the Minister to be obtained for anything to be done by the Corporation, the Minister may give directions to the Corporation for restricting the exercise by it of its powers under this Act, or for requiring it to exercise those powers in any manner specified in the direction.
27. Dissolution of the CorporationWhere the Minister is satisfied that the purposes of the Corporation have been achieved or is satisfied that it should cease operating, the Minister shall by order provide for the winding up and dissolution of the Corporation. The assets of the Corporation at the time of dissolution shall, subject to the payment of the liabilities of the Corporation, be disposed of in the manner prescribed by the Minister.
Notice (Section 2)The Minister has determined that the financial year of the Corporation after the financial year ending on the 3lst day of March, 1970, shall be the twelve month period commencing on the 1st day of April in each year.[G.N. 246/1969]
History of this document
23 August 1968
02 April 1968