Malawi Housing Corporation Act
- There are multiple commencements:
- [This is the version of this document as it was at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
|Section 1–2, section 3(1), 3(2)(a), 3(2)(b), 3(2)(c), 3(2)(e), 3(2)(f), 3(2)(g), 3(2)(h), section 4, section 5–16||commenced on 1 January 1964.|
commenced on 1 February 1965.
Note: G.N. 36/1965
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Malawi Housing Corporation Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Corporation" means the Malawi Housing Corporation established under section 3."member" includes the Chairman of the Corporation.
3. Establishment of the Corporation and powers thereof
4. Status of the CorporationThe Corporation shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, and may in its corporate name sue and be sued.
5. Constitution of the Corporation
6. Disqualification of members of the CorporationNo person shall be eligible for appointment as a member of the Corporation who—
7. Financial policy of the Corporation
8. Advances by GovernmentThe Government may from time to time make to the Corporation advances of moneys required for the proper carrying out of this Act. The moneys so advanced and any interest thereon shall constitute a liability of the Corporation and shall be charged on the property and annual revenues of the Corporation present and future.
9. Repayment of, and interest on, advances
10. Borrowing powers
11. Consequential provisions on transfer of functionsThe Minister may by Regulation make provision consequential on the assumption by the Corporation of any functions under this Act for—
12. Acquisition of landIf the Corporation requires any customary land for the purposes of carrying into effect any of the provisions of this Act, it may apply for a grant, lease or other disposition in accordance with section 5 of the Land Act.[21 of 1970][Cap. 57:01]
13. Employees of the Corporation
14. Power of Minister to give directionsIn exercise of any function conferred upon the Corporation by any of the provisions of this Act the Corporation shall be subject at all times to the general or special directions of the Minister.
15. Accounts, audit and reports
16. By-lawsThe Corporation may, subject to the prior approval of the Minister, make by-laws regulating any of the following matters—
History of this document
01 January 1964