Referendum Act, 2018
Act 6 of 2018
- Assented to on 24 August 2018
- Not commenced
- [This is the version of this document from 2 February 2018.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short title and commencementThis Act may be cited as the Referendum Act, 2018 and shall come into operation on such date as the Minister shall appoint, by notice published in the Gazette.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"Commission" means the Electoral Commission established under section 75 of the Constitution; and"Referendum Committee" means a committee registered under section 10.
Part II – Holding of a referendum
3. Proclamation of a referendum
4. Referendum questionA question for a referendum shall be so framed that each member of the electorate may express an opinion on the question by making a mark after the word "YES" or "NO" or a symbol assigned to "YES" or "NO" on the ballot paper.
5. Restriction on proclamation of referendaA referendum shall not be held on any matter relating to—
6. Notice of referendum
7. Conduct of referendum
8. Vote to be decided by a simple majorityA referendum question shall be decided by a simple majority of the electorate voting in favour of the question.
Part III – Referendum committees
9. Referendum committees
10. Registration of referendum committees
11. Validity of registrationThe registration of a referendum committee shall be valid only for the referendum in respect of which it is registered.
12. Compliance with code of conductA member of a referendum committee shall subscribe to and abide by a code of conduct issued by the Commission.
13. Costs of referendum committeeEach referendum committee shall bear its own costs.
Part IV – Miscellaneous
14. RegulationsThe Minister may, on recommendation of the Commission, make regulations for the effective carrying out of the provisions of this Act.Passed in Parliament this thirteenth day of December, two thousand and seventeen.
History of this document
24 August 2018
02 February 2018 this version
Published in None number None