National Statistics Act
- Commenced on 19 July 2013
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
Part I – Preliminary
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the National Statistics Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—"authorized officer" means any person appointed as an authorized officer under section 9 and includes, a supervisor, enumerator, coder and data entry clerk;"census" means a statistical operation in which all units of interest or the whole population are enumerated;"Commissioner" means the public officer holding or acting in the office of Commissioner for Statistics appointed under section 4;"National Statistical System" refers to public agencies responsible for producing, analysing, disseminating and using statistics, and encompasses the statistical outputs produced and the people involved, including both producers and users of statistics;"official statistics" means any quantitative, qualitative, aggregate and representative information relating to any matter contemplated in the First Schedule and produced by the National Statistical Office, and includes any information produced by line government ministries, departments and public authorities, provided that such information shall become official statistics after the Commissioner shall have endorsed the information with a stamp of quality;"respondent" means any person who supplies or is required to supply statistical information;"return" means any book, document, form, card, tape, disc or storage media on which information required is entered or recorded or is required to be entered or recorded for statistical purposes under this Act;"statistical sample survey" means a statistical operation in which only a selected part or sample and not all units of interest or the whole population are enumerated;"statistics" means any quantity collected as a summary of data;"survey" includes a survey of undertakings or persons whereby information is collected from all persons in a field of inquiry or from a sample thereof, wholly or primarily for statistical purposes;"undertakings" means any undertaking by way of trade or business whether or not the trade or business is carried out for profit, and includes a ministry or Government department, statutory body, local government body, and any other organization or body of persons or any part thereof and includes a branch of undertakings.
Part II – Establishment and functions of the National Statistical Office
3. Establishment of the National Statistical Office
4. Appointment of the Commissioner for Statistics
5. Duties of the Commissioner for Statistics
6. Employment of assistantsFor purposes of carrying out his duties under this Act, the Commissioner may employ public officers or other persons to assist in carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act, and may authorize such officers or persons, by writing under his hand or the hand of an officer of the National Statistical Office authorized by the Commissioner in that behalf, to perform such functions as may be required.
Part III – Establishment and functions of the National Statistical System
7. Establishment of the National Statistical System
8. Functions of the National Statistical SystemThe National Statistical System shall have the following functions—
Part IV – Statistical information and powers of the National Statistical Office
9. Statistical surveys by public, private or foreign institutions
10. Power to obtain particulars
11. Compilation of list of respondentsFor the purpose of compiling lists of respondents or respondents of a particular class, group or description, the Commissioner may, by notice published in the Gazette, or in a newspaper of wide circulation in Malawi, or in such other manner as might reasonably be expected to bring the notice to the attention of respondents' concerned, require the respondents to communicate with the Commissioner in a manner and within such time as may be specified in the notice.
12. Power of entry and inspection
13. Disclosure of information and confidentiality
14. Dissemination of statistical dataThe Commissioner shall ensure that any statistical data collected, after appropriate processing and ascertaining its accuracy, and also after ensuring the confidentiality of any respondent who provided any statistical information, is released for general dissemination.
Part V – Miscellaneous provisions
15. Relationship with other bodies
16. Offences and penalties
17. Oath or Affirmation of Office and Secrecy
18. Code of Practice for official statistics
19. Special reports and investigationsThe Commissioner may, at his discretion and at the request of any person and upon payment of such fee as the Commissioner may specify or as may be prescribed, supply to such person any special information or report concerning, or carry out for such person any special investigation into, any of the matters specified in the First Schedule.[First Schedule]
21. Amendment of schedulesThe Minister may, by Order published in the Gazette, amend the schedules.
22. Repeal and savings
History of this document
19 July 2013