Commercial Advertising (Traditional Music) Control Act
- Assented to on 31 March 1978
- Commenced on 31 March 1978
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Commercial Advertising (Traditional Music) Control Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act unless the context otherwise requires—“Malawi traditional music or dancing” means any music, dancing, singing or drumming performed in the Malawi customary manner by ceremonial performers or by members of the public as an integral part of, or in connexion with, any official or public celebration or act of public acclaim of the President or of any other notable person or visitor to Malawi.
3. Recording of traditional music or dancingAny person who, for purposes of use in commercial advertising, records or causes to be recorded, by any method of sound, cinematographic or photographic recording capable of reproduction, any Malawi traditional music or dancing shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of two thousand Kwacha or to imprisonment for a term of one year.
4. Use of recordings of traditional music or dancing for advertisingAny person who publishes or causes to be published any sound, cinematographic or photographic record of any Malawi traditional music or dancing for the purpose of or in connexion with or as background to any advertising of any commercial enterprise or business or of any offer to the public of any sale, letting or hiring of any lands, goods or services shall be guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of two thousand Kwacha or to imprisonment for a term of one year.
5. RegulationsThe Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette, make regulations for the better carrying out of the provisions of this Act.
History of this document
31 December 2014 this version
31 March 1978