Milk and Milk Products Acts
- Assented to on 31 December 1971
- Commenced on 1 November 1972
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Milk and Milk Products Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“milk” means exclusively the normal mammary secretion obtained from one or more milkings from cows and other bovines without either addition thereto or extraction therefrom;“milk product” means any product exclusively derived from milk, such as butter, cheese ghee, cream, dried milk or condensed milk, whether or not substances necessary for the manufacturing process but not intended to take the place in part or in whole of any milk constituent have been added thereto;“premises” includes any building together with the land on which it is situated and the adjoining land used in connexion therewith, and includes any vehicle, conveyance or vessel;“producer” means a person owning or having control of animals from which milk is obtained;“sale” includes supplying milk under arrangements for free supply or in the course of any business otherwise than under such arrangements.
3. Power to make regulations
4. Establishment of dairy advisory committee
5. Establishment of national milk marketing board
6. Establishment of specialized bodies
7. Appointment of inspectors, etc.The Minister may appoint suitable persons to be inspectors, milk tester-graders or samplers or other officers for the purposes of this Act, who shall exercise such powers as may be specified in regulations made under this Act.
History of this document
31 December 2014 this version
01 November 1972
31 December 1971