Professional Qualifications Act
- Commenced on 11 May 1965
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
1. Short titleThis Act may be cited as the Professional Qualifications Act.
2. InterpretationIn this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—“Minister” means the Minister responsible for the administration or supervision of the profession concerned;“profession” means a profession set forth in the Schedule.
3. Recognition of external professional qualificationsSubject to Section 5, it shall be lawful for the Minister, by notice published in the Gazette, to specify the qualifications which in any country outside Malawi confer the right to practise a particular profession in that country as entitling, with or without further qualification or examination, a person to the membership and practice of that profession in Malawi.[24 of 1972]
4. Power to amend ScheduleIt shall be lawful for the Minister from time to time, by notice published in the Gazette, to add to or delete from the list of professions set forth in the Schedule.
5. Act not to apply in case of professions expressly provided for in certain laws, etc.This Act shall not apply in relation to any profession where there is in force in respect of such profession any written law, expressly enacted for the purpose, which makes provision for qualification for membership of, and the right to practise, such profession in Malawi.
History of this document
11 May 1965