National Service Act
- Commenced on 10 April 1951
- [This is the version of this document at 31 December 2014.]
- [Note: This version of the Act was revised and consolidated in the Fifth Revised Edition of the Laws of Malawi (L.R.O. 1/2018), by the Solicitor General and Secretary for Justice under the authority of the Revision of the Laws Act.]
1. Short title
2. Appointment of Director of ManpowerThe Minister may by notice published in the Gazette appoint a person to be Director of Manpower for the purposes of this Act.
3. Order subjecting citizens to the ActThe Minister may from time to time, by Order published in the Gazette, direct that, subject to section 4, every citizen of Malawi—
4. ExemptionNo person shall be liable for service under this Act if he is under the age of 18 years or over the age of 60 years.
5. Registration for National Service
6. Medical examination
7. Notice requiring registered persons to serve
8. Constitution and powers of National Service Tribunal
9. Appeals against obligation to serve
10. Appeals before the Tribunal
11. Remuneration of Tribunal and witnesses and costs
12. Nature of service under this Act
13. Transfer from one form of service to another
14. Employers to give particulars of employees
15. Co-operation of employers
16. Reinstatement in employment
17. False statement and forgeryAny person who—
18. PenaltyAny person guilty of an offence against this Act for which no special penalty is provided shall be liable to a fine of £50 and to imprisonment for three months.
History of this document
10 April 1951